Thursday, February 03, 2011

The Faery Foodie




I bet you didn't know that I am incredibly, passionately, obsessively in love with food.  Yes, it's true.

I worked eight years in the restaurant business everywhere from Ithaca to New York City to Nantucket, and now that I attempt to carve out a living as a writer, I was lucky enough to score a gig as a food writer for The Charleston City Paper. Incidentally, I hope my comment will hold more weight, those of you who have read my book, when I reiterate -- that chicken curry the Bikers made on Isle of Man? Phenomenal. (The trick is you have to leave it on the stove while you go to the Pub.)

So what's on my mind this week? None other than the Super Bowl, of course. This is a time when Eric and I throw a party -- he, so he'll have people to watch the game with, me, so I can pretend to be excited about watching the game and make delicious food. I try to watch, I really do. And it's not that I don't like football. I simply find eating, drinking, and conversing with wonderful people so much more rewarding than staring at a big screen TV. Go Packers.

Half time will find me in the sunroom, having (hopefully) lured a few of my gal-pals in behind me with a lovely, full-bodied glass of Cab, where we will be snacking and talking about gal-pal things while the die-hards hoot and holler from the living room. Thankfully, my husband doesn't mind my nefarious sun-room sneaking ways. At least, he probably figures, he knows where to find me.

So who has some delicious football favorites? This year I wanted to focus on variety in every sense of the word. On our menu:

- Sweet & Sour Meatballs

- Chicken Taquitos

- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yes, that's right. Bacon.
The chicken taquitos come from Hungry Girl, so 2 taquitos only have 2.5 grams of fat and 197 calories. The other two are god-awful for you. But oh so delicious. And the thing I love best about this meatball recipe (if you could even call it a recipe) is that is so freaking easy.

Here are the links incase you'd like to whip any of these up:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/02/sweet-and-sour-meatballs-easy.html

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/lisa-lillien/exploding-chicken-taquitos-recipe/index.html 

http://cravingchronicles.com/2010/10/05/bacon-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Write me with your favorites - And as my father would say... bon appetit tout le monde!

1 comment:

  1. Hope the party was a roaring success. Bacon chocolate chip cookies. Oh my word. That's outrageous.

    ReplyDelete